Past Projects: Northern ToSIA
Northern ToSIA investigated options for improving the sustainable use of forest resources in selected regions of the Northern Periphery in Finland, Sweden, Scotland and Norway. The investigation was done by using an innovative sustainability impact assessment tool, ToSIA (Tool for Sustainability Impact Assessment).
The improved tool was the product and services delivered by Northern ToSIA. This tool could be used with the applications as part of the regional development and corporate social responsibility reporting in the companies. The tool was used as a decision support system for decision makers in the companies and the regions.
Northern ToSIA was led by the European Forest Institute, and case studies were implemented by partners Forestry Centre of North Karelia (Finland), Forest Research / Forestry Commission (Scotland), Department of Forest Ecology and Management, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences SLU (Sweden ) and Department of Agriculture, County Governor of Nordland (Norway).
The project was co-financed in the NPP Northern Periphery Programme 2007-2013 and from several national and regional co-financing sources:
- European Regional Development Fund ERDF
- Ministry of Environment (FIN)
- Regional Council of North Karelia (FIN)
- Forestry Commission (UK)
- County Administrative Board of Västerbotten (SE)
- County Governor of Nordland (NO)
- Bioenergy case study in North Karelia, Finland
- Reindeer husbandry and forestry interaction case study in Malå, Sweden
- Cairngorm National Park case study in Scotland
- Case study in Norway
ContactsProject Co-ordinator: Marcus Lindner
tel. +358 10 773 4340
Address: Yliopistokatu 6, FI-80100 Joensuu
Fax: +358 10 773 4377